Notes & Quotes: Jan. 23 v Toronto Marlies
Cleveland Monsters v. Toronto Marlies
Jan. 23, 2019 - Quicken Loans Arena
- Cleveland’s 6-5 shootout victory marked the 12th comeback win of this season
- The Monsters overcame a three-goal deficit (4-1, 2nd) to make it their biggest comeback of the year
- Cleveland has now won four out of five of their shootout contests this season that includes three games played in January. This is the second shootout win in a row for the Monsters with Jean-Francios Berube in net after stopping 59 shots (Jan. 19 at Laval, 36 saves to Jan. 23 vs. Toronto, 23 saves)
- The Monsters are now 10-0-6-6 in franchise history against the Marlies when playing games in extra time. Out of six games played against Toronto this season, the last five have ended in extra time (3-0-2)
- Paul Bittner returned from injury after missing 13 games and had his seventh multi-point night of the season (1G, 1A)
- Sam Vigneault had a career-high night tallying three assists in his third game back after missing four games due to injury
- Kole Sherwood scored his sixth goal of the season to help tie the game at 4-4 during the Monster’s comeback run. Sherwood is currently on a two-game goal streak marking his first in the AHL (Jan. 19 to Jan. 23)
On tonight's return.. "Felt great!"
On staying focused through injury... "I've got a lot of appreciation and admiration for the coaches to keep me in shape. They put me through the ringer for about 3 weeks there... they put me through hell."
On his goal... "Just got lucky - right place, right time. It's one of those things you don't really see coming but Sam (Vigneault) made a good play at the back of the net and I just happened to be there."
On the game.. "Anything strange that could happen, happened."
On what this win means... "It was a good test to the guys to come back and keep battling, you never know what could happen."
On game play... "It wasn't pretty but two points is two points."
On the goaltending... "He kept battling. That's a huge character trait of our team - no matter what's going on out there, we're going to continue to play our game."