Area Learn to Play programs are the first step for learning the game of hockey! After “graduation” from Learn to Play, your player begins on the path to more competitive stages of hockey in the 8U (Mite) program or the 10U (squirt) program of the Cleveland Suburban Hockey League (CSHL). The CSHL is the only hockey league of it’s kind in NE Ohio with almost every rink in the area fielding a CSHL program.
It is recommended but not required before registering for LTP that your player graduates from a Learn to Skate program. Learn to Skate programs are offered at most area rinks and you can find more details on our rink locater page.
Many LTP programs in our area follow this process for teaching your player the game of hockey:
- Learn to Play program (ages 4-8) for one year!
- 8U (Mite) Blue travel hockey
- Station-based practices/curriculum similar to Learn to Play, but now featuring other area teams to play against!
- 8U (Mite) White travel hockey
- Some players will graduate Learn to Play and go straight to Mite White, the second stage of 8U hockey!
- Station-based practices are still taking place, but more advanced area competition and more games included on the schedule
- 8U (Mite) Red travel hockey
- This is the last stage of Mite hockey and most competitive stage of 8U.
- Almost exclusively set for 7 and 8 year olds to compete and can feature select full-ice hockey games as well.
- 10U (Squirt) travel hockey
- Depending on age after graduation from LTP, your player may advance to 10U hockey!
- The CSHL association you are a part of will feature various skill level teams at this age group to help your player make sure they are on the correct team.
- If graduating from a Mite program, the same procedure will follow with placement on a team of the skill level relative to your player.